2/23/2011

Snowshoes / Schneeschuhe


Around Christmas I saw miniature snowshoes in the stores, which were meant to be tree decorations. They were available for $9 and I thought to save this money and making my own snowshoes instead. I got small birch twigs and treated them like I normally would treat straw (for straw stars.) So I let the twigs dry for a week and then soaked them in hot water. Taking the wood out of the water, I was able to bend it in the intended form, without causing the twigs to break and fixed the endings with yarn. Now I had to let it dry again and fix the yarn after that, as the dried out water would make the endings loosen up. Finally I was ready to start the actual work with yarn, metal thread, small wooden parts, instant glue and felt.
It looked rather simple, like the work on a tennis racket, but due to the small size of the snowshoes, it was a hell of a job. I finished the first “classic” pair after two weeks working on it. 


The red one was originally supposed to be done with jute fibre, but it frayed too much, so that I had to remove it again. Therefore I choose the red variety of embroidery and sewing yarn instead. In between I found the perfect natural fibre yarn, but I was too lazy to restart this pair again. I didn’t like the final result of the red pair that much, but it works - bound together - as a rather northern heart :)


 ...............................................................................................
 Model / Modelle


 Hot Water/ Heißes Wasser

  First Steps/ Der Anfang
Um die Weihnachtszeit herum sah ich Mini-Schneeschuhe in den Läden, die als Baumbehang verkauft wurden und 9$ kosteten. Ich dachte, daß ich das Geld einfach sparen könnte, indem ich mir meine eigenen Schneeschuhe bastele. Ich sammelte kleine Birkenzweige und behandelte sie so, wie ich es normalerweise mit Stroh (für Strohsterne) machen würde. Deswegen ließ ich sie trocknen, um sie dann in heißem Wasser einzuweichen. So konnten die Zweige dann ohne zu brechen in Form gebogen werden. Ich fixierte die Enden mit Nähgarn und ließ alles wieder trocknen. Nach einiger Zeit mussten die Enden dann erneut festgezogen werden und nun konnte ich endlich mit der eigentlichen Arbeit beginnen. Dazu benutzte ich Garn, dünnen Draht, kleine Holzstückchen, Sekundenkleber und Filz.
Die Arbeit sieht recht einfach aus, so wie an einem Tennisschläger, aber da es so klein ist, war es eine echte Fizzelarbeit. Für das erste Schneeschuhpaar brauchte ich zwei Wochen und danach eine Pause. Das rote Paar hatte ich eigentlich mit Juteband begonnen, aber da dies zu sehr ausfranste, musste ich es wieder entfernen. Ich entschied mich dann für diese Kombination aus rotem Näh- und Stickgarn. Zwischendurch fand ich zwar die perfekten, nichtfransenden Naturfasern, aber ich war zu faul um von vorne anzufangen. Ich mochte das zu farbige Endresultat des roten Paares nicht allzusehr, aber zusammengebunden bildet es immerhin ein sehr nordisches Herz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails